Sunday, December 15, 2013

A Snowstorm is a chance to get all those inside chores done...isn't it?

I love this time of year, and I love being buried in the house during a snowstorm. There are chores to be done, a pile of presents waiting to be wrapped and sent out, a house to be cleaned and what do I do?  I sit down and knit.

Yesterday I finished another Cowl and fingerless - mitts (really, just tubes for your hands and arm) and was quite pleased with myself.  These are Merino wool with a bit of silk in them.   I also finished my grey sweater which I've been working on for a few weeks. It needs final blocking but it looks good on and is about as warm and cozy as baby alpaca can be. The only complaint I have about this yarn is that it's SO unstructured that the sweater feels like holding a pile of slippery....well something. I can't think of a good description.  But it slides around in a funny way and is hard to fold as it slips off itself.   But all in all, I couldn't have been happier as I watched Christmas movies and knitted all afternoon.



Frankly I did feel like I deserved some time out.  Not only have I been working like a dog, but I did a lot of final shopping yesterday starting at 7:00 AM.  Yup, idiocy I know, but it was the only way to get things finished before a snowstorm came.  And I experienced going to an "American Girl" doll store. Have you ever been to one?  I never have but a niece got a doll from my mom and it needed some changes of clothing.  I was amazed at the store, it's like Disney world for girls.  It's also outrageously expensive, but if I could have had one when I was a kid...and gotten matching clothing for myself - wow!  I would have been on top of the world.  Walking away from the store I thought about getting one for myself now, and making matching clothes for myself so that I can experience that feeling - getting in touch with my inner child and all.   Then I thought that the store should do it, offer adult clothing to match the child and the doll....and then I started laughing at myself.  Still, it was a fun experience.

So today I am finishing the chores (awful chores, like laundry, and cleaning house, and paying bills), while the snow continues to lightly fall.  The plow guy has come a few times and it looks like we got about 10 inches, not too bad.  But theres another yarn waiting for me, a Malabrigo in a gorgeous dark color called whalesroad.  I've got a bottom up knitting pattern that is calling out to me.   An easy turtleneck pattern.   Plus...I do hear my studio calling my name.

Anyone want to come over to do my chores?

7 comments:

Cris, Oregon Artist said...

What a lovely lot of goodies you knitted. It's really kind of fun being snowed in for a bit if you have supplies and something fun to do. There's a cute all American Girl movie out that you might like. Called Saige paints the sky. Filmed in NM with Jane Seymore in it. Lots of painting in it. :) Not as fun as the dolls with clothes but it was kind of fun being a kid again watching it. :).fun post.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Sounds like a wonderful time being snowed in. I always admire knitted items. I can't knit or pearl. The American Doll thing was not around when my daughter was young. She didn't play with dolls anyway. You aren't the only adult that would like the clothes to match. They would make another fortune making matching clothes for adults. ha... Enjoy your time off.

kj said...

I always like when you have these kind of days, Mim. I know how expertly you juggle, so it 's good when you get hunkered in. Same here

You are super duper talented

Love
kj

sukipoet said...

you do so much Mim. Love your sweater and gloves. and those yarns are some of my favorites. And all that shopping. And the dolls. Yes, a therapist one set me an assignment to find a doll for the inner child of me. I guess I got one. You should do it. Yeah!

Lynn Cohen said...

Lovely cowl and mitts. My mitts have thumbs that are easily done with casting on of five stitches each end. I love the sweater and think I could make that. Pattern sharing?
I love the doll story. And it's given me an idea for a blog post.
Yes, go get one for yourself, it's never too late. You can make an outfit for yourself to match.
Hugs and happy holidays!

Annie Coe said...

Mim, I always seem to have to go out in the storms, but I love it when I can stay in. I love that sweater.
I am going back to bed...xoxo

Amanda Summer said...

After cooking dinner and then wrapping all the gifts I felt a little exhausted myself last night! But when the work's all done is the time to sit in front of the fire with a glass of wine and relax. Wishing you lots of this and many blessings for the holidays and new year dear Mim. xoxo