Sunday, March 30, 2014

I miss Blogging

I know that lots of folks aren't blogging anymore - at least folks that I know. We're all Facebooking and Twittering (or is it Tweeting) and I have become a lurker again, just like I was in the beginning.  I'm reading blogs and not writing.   I'm being a voyeur, which is really lazy in a way.   And it's no excuse to say how busy I am but oh boy am I busy!

My money work - the actual job I have - is overwhelmingly busy.  So much so that I wonder how to possibly get along.  The Japanese people that I work for work at least 10-12 hour days in the office every day. Barely any exceptions.  Heads down, working hard with multiple cigarette breaks.  I find myself working at least 9 hours every day behind a desk, with walks to the bathroom or meetings or to get some crap food to keep up my energy.  Needless to say this has not been good for my health, and I've now vowed to eat better and walk at lunch and get out of the office every day.

I attending the SCBWI conference in NYC this winter and was tremendously inspired to keep going down this road.  I also realized that in order to illustrate my own books that I have to learn to write.  So I started.  I've always told myself that I was a bad writer but I tried to put that aside and wrote two stories.  My friend KJ says "not so bad Mim" and I trust her honesty and knowledge.  I have an opportunity to submit a story and some illustrations to Houghton Mifflin and I'm hoping at least the story will get taken.  I'm working slower on the drawings, letting them mature a bit.  I'm using different materials, inks, gouache and hot pressed paper - it's all different but good.  

To further my writing side, I've joined a once a month Children's book writing group. We meet at Barnes and Nobels and read and critique each other's work. Their work is so creative and beautiful - and I'm enjoying meeting these women and men. I'm learning to slow down, to rewrite, to critique my work, and to listen to what's inside.   A group of us also have an ATC trade going on which is really wonderful and fun - wow the great art I am getting!!!

And aside from all that wonderful stuff going on, I have a 91 year old mom who I want to see at least once a month, I have a home and a husband and good friends and vacations to plan (Argentina in May to see a nephew who is studying there for a semester and yes...I have Rosetta Stone spanish to listen to).  Starting Sketchbook Skool next week or so, and a California high school graduation to go to and a NYC bar mitzvah in June.  A weekend away to NYC with girlfriends.

Writing this all down feels satisfying and good.  I am happy and fairly healthy and I have the luxury of writing and drawing and working and playing.   I enjoy just about everything I do (except those 9-10  hour days...would love 8 hours, but oh well...)

And I miss sharing with you.  I guess I miss the writing and expressing myself here.  I miss sharing moments, and some things I would not share on FB.  I'm going to try for a once a week update on art and life and all the good (and bad) things that go on in my life. Because Blogging has given me friends, and an outlet and opened doors that I never knew were even there - let alone trying to open them.

Right now I am watching rain wash away the snow still in my yard.  Im enjoying the crisp air and planning for spring.  See you all there!


17 comments:

Annie Coe said...

Hi Mim, You are busy, we are all too busy! As for blogging, less facebook and more real time blogging I say, there is not time for both and as for twitter, I don't go near it! I do lurk a lot too, leaving a comment now and then.
Some advice: Take healthy food to work with you, it is worth it.
I also say, quit that job! Time is too short to spend all that time working. I cut my days down to two and a half a week, I barely get by, but it is worth it to be able to paint and see friends more often. Your happiness and health are worth more than the money.
I am glad you still blog from time to time. Thank you for coming to my blog and leaving comments.
Good luck with the writing!
xoxoxo

Lynn Cohen said...

Wow, you ARE busy! AND I'm glad to see you coming back to blogging. I never stopped, but miss the drop off of so many old blog mates. A few do drop by on occasion, but I too see Facebook has stolen most of them away. And I'm down to posting about twice weekly instead of daily on Getting My Feet Wet. But then I started a new blog: Paper, Paint, Pencils &Pens for sharing art to a theme every two weeks. We've been up and running two months now and have 30 artist, you being one of them! on line. So I've made new online friends there!

I'm glad you are thinking about your health. Best to do that NOW. It will bode you well in the long haul. I used to see 35-40 clients a week and now (at my age) I see 10-19 a week instead. It's so much nicer this slower pace. Gives me more time for making art, playing, exercising, and just enjoying life.

Your trip plans are stupendous. Have fun and I hope you art journal while traveling!

Glad you are "Back" Mim. I missed you.

kj said...

I've stopped reading this midway

Not so bad? !!! Did I say that? Because the last story of yours I read was brilliant. As in A plus. I mean it

I will always be honest with you as you are with me. And 'not so bad' doesn't come close!
Love!
kj

kj said...

Okay, so now I 've finished reading. I don't know how you do what you do. That work schedule is a bear. I wish you 'd quit. There I said it :-)

The next chapter of your life is emerging. How exciting. That last story has stuck with me . I assume that is the one you're submitting? It may need to find the right agent or publisher but it is fabulous.

I miss so many of my (our) old blog friends. I'm glad to say I'm making some new friends blogging and I cherish every aspect of all of it. I would miss you to the moon and back so please don't ever leave me :-)

And with that schedule , how the hell do we find time ? :-)

Love
kj

Cris, Oregon Artist said...

I agree with everyone here. I am back to blogging. Took a little time off due to pain and feeling boring. How many chicken posts can I get away with. Lol I am trying to do more art. I too am noticing more going to FB and I am just not going to go that way. I feel it forces everyone to see my stuff even if they aren't interested as not all are artists there. I will post something now and then on FB but that's all. I don't go there much either. So I hope you keep blogging. :)

Teri said...

Wow Mim, your writing here is brilliant! I enjoyed reading it and hearing about everything you are doing and plan to do...PHEW.
Keep working on the book dream, it has already opened a lot of doors for you. I know you can do it and do it with great success!
I am also in the boat of blogging less. Who knows what the future holds so lets keep doing what makes us happy!
Hugs

Lisa at Greenbow said...

It seems that everyone is blogging less. I miss reading everyones blogs. I am doing a lot of lurking too. I can't wait to see your book. I know you can do it. I am always amazed at what all you do. You have so much energy. Best of luck with all your writing and art.

Amanda Summer said...

So happy to see you blogging, Mim!
I don't do Facebook or Twitter, because I feel they would suck away my time. Blogging suits me better, perhaps because of the slower pace.

Big congrats on getting your work considered by Houghton Mifflin - let us know what happens! You do have lots on your plate, and it sounds like you are living life to its fullest - enjoy your upcoming journey to Argentina and will look forward to your stories and photos!

Unknown said...

I think we all feel so incredibly rushed/busy and I know for me, I feel like getting off of everything most days, and just playing with art and words. There are only so many hours in the day.
So glad to hear the SCBWI conference went well, and that you've found some peeps to meet with and exchange stories, etc.
I'm excited for you. Keep us all posted! xo

Anonymous said...

pretty nice blog, following :)

The Back of My Headboard said...

I'm such a FB addict, I forgot about blogging. But today I'm nosing around...riding kj's list of friends (ssh, don't tell) to see what's going on in blogland.

Amanda Summer said...

I miss you, Mim.

Snowbrush said...

I don't like Facebook--not the look of it, not the "like" requests, or the "friend" requests, or anything else about it. I guess my main problem is that I see it as inspiring superficiality. As you might imagine, I'm not keen on Twitter either.

I'm sorry you're putting most all of your energy somewhere other than your blog. I miss seeing you around.

Amanda Summer said...

Mim,

You miss blogging and I miss you blogging too! Please let me know how your work is going - do you have another blog you are using now instead of this one? Let me know where to find you so I can catch up!

xo
Amanda

Barbara/myth maker said...

Miss reading your blog.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the comment on the blog I would like to revive. I miss having a place I can open up about things a bit more personal than I would on my blog that is intentionally kept superficial at my partner's request. And of course FB is, well, you know. I hope you are able to cultivate better self care and do stick to your promise to yourself to eat better at work and take a walk, get out.

Anonymous said...

I think I just lost the comment I was leaving. Hmmm.