Sunday, April 28, 2013

What's with all the silence

I have done so much NOT posting these past few months, and have watched many others do the same.  Is it a move to Twitter or Facebook?  Is it boredom or the ever-present "I don't have anything interesting to say" dilemma?  Well for me it's the "I have too much to do" syndrome keeping me away from the computer for any kind of fun. 

Since I got to keep my job, I'm busier than ever at work, which is both good and bad. I have not been able to cut back but am going to discuss it with my boss next week. 

And since I was preparing for a year to have my "dessert" career and am a carry-it-thru person, I'm working on the Children's books project many many hours.  I took a digital art class so that I could learn how to do the project on the computer.  I found that the digital process can be helpful to me to set up color schemes, and play with options but is not yet the absolute medium that I want to use.  It took me a few weeks to realize that, and in that time I was avoiding the computer, avoiding working on the book and worried that I had lost interest.  It wasn't until I sat down with my watercolors and started painting that I realized "gee, that digital illustration had me stressed out".  To be fair, I'm not good enough yet with Photoshot to do a really good job. I also realized that if I want to do the colors on the computer, then I have to plan for that from the very beginning of the work - its important for sanity and making a good job of it. 

Animal Wednesday? What's that??? All my animals are on my iphone camera - waiting for their turn in the sun.   Walking in the morning?  Who's kidding who?  I love it and just started again yesterday but until then it's been jump out of bed, go to work, come home and work on the darn book. 

I think I'm getting close to finished thank goodness.  I have all my 28 pages drawn and mostly colored. I have my text written. I have my cover page and endpapers designed.  Once I finish the coloring I have to marry the two by scanning in the pages, and adding the text.    Then a good printing and color copies to send out into the world.  And from what I hear, be ready for many many rejections and when someone does take you on...be prepared to be paid a tiny tiny amount.   Why would anyone do this?  To tell you the truth...it's fun.  I like pulling it all together, I like having a character come to life. I like the feel of the paper and the watercolors, and seeing a nice pile of work getting ready to go out into the world. It doesn't really matter to me if it gets published or not, if no one wants it I'll publish it myself for the kids in my family.  I have more stories in my head and ways to make it easier to draw them all out.   I have made a good friend in my instructor (Ilse Plume) who is lovely, warm, delightful and very talented.  I've met some lovely people in the class, and am going to miss them all when the class ends. 

Once it's all ready to be shown I will set up a private site for friends to view the work - and will ask for specific emails so that I can share with only my trusted online crowd.  I'd love everyone's feedback, and comments.  

So that's where I am at.  I estimate that I have about 2 more weeks of work to do before it's ready for prime time. If I focused and worked on it 12 hours/day, I could get it all done in about 3 - 4 full days, but that's not gonna happen.  

So...that's my excuse for the week.  I'll keep you updated

9 comments:

PAK ART said...

I haven't posted in over a month now. I lost another employee at work due to health issue and have been doing both jobs, working weekends. I am just TOO OLD to be working 50 hours a week! There is not enough time to do all the other stuff like housework (too bad!) I've been doing a lot of thinking about various art projects but just can't seem to find the time. EAgerly awaiting your book!

yoborobo said...

Hi Mim! I think I'm not posting as much because honestly, I'm feeling that Time Crunch, too. There are only so many hours in the day, and we all have projects (because we're all creative! :) Congrats on working so hard on your book. You have tackled a big learning curve. Hopefully the next one will be a little easier? Good to 'see' you when you post, and take care of you! xox

kj said...

I'm in the same boat. And honestly it's harder for me to blog and especially post when I'm having a hard time. I tend to wait until I'm mostly or through my problem(s) before I acknowledge or whine :-) ( I say this because I am finally through the high finance mess and am sitting happily in a little house where I can see a glance of the bay.

Not to say all is well: baaaaaa! I am one one crutch slowing me down greatly and damn if I have to have surgery . And a winderful friend is sick and facing some tough decisions. Life is glorious and sad, all mixed together.

Now, about your dessert career: it ain't gonna be a dessert career, Mim. I'll bet you 20 hit fudge sundaes you will have a new career, period. What fun for me and everyone here to follow you in this!

Ps I'm holding on to you for life. If you get some fancy award and you can only have six guests in the audience, I want one of those tickets :-)

Love
kj

Cris, Oregon Artist said...

I quit posting so much because I only got a couple comments and so I leave it up till I get more..and what more can one say after all these years.. its more yada yada yada Same ole same ole. I am so into my life right now its to much work to go post about it. Love my chickens and need to do more Art work, but I find I want to come and check out everyone's blogs and they aren't there like they used to be or are on FB and I don't do it much as its to much hassel. I so look forward to your book. I hope I am one to get a sneak peek at it. You have accomplished much since starting to blog. Fun to see and hear about.

Robin said...

Perhaps it's because I am *still* a newbie - after three years - but I seem to blog as much as I always have.. (of course, that's not all that much)..

I never was *in it* for quantity - but quality! The people whose lives I am interested in and who I admire for their creativity and just being who they really are.. and you are one of them!

I love your many talents - and the book....wow..it's gonna be a success! So are the *Waterlily Girls* and Ms Em! You have a wonderful insight to combine the *fantasy* with *reality*... you can draw it - and write it. Not many can!

Life does rush by us....and each day is precious. If we did not know before - we all learned when Renee died. I treasure all my blogging friends....and what they do, where they go, what they paint or write - or photograph enriches my daily life.

Whew! That's my two cents!
A-ha-ha!

I love your blog...and look forward to more Animal Wednesdays - and more photos of you and DH canoeing out in the lake!

Love, always,

♥ Robin ♥

Hilary Mosberg said...

Wonderful. I can't wait to see/read it. XOHilary

Lynn Cohen said...

Happy to hear about your book progress! I know how time consuming it is, and has it's hurdles, but I am among the throngs who want to see and enjoy the end result. You have my email address!!!

I still blog weekly, but not daily anymore as I once did, mostly as the followers have slacked off. I still have plenty to share and say.

Friday is my big blog day when I post most of my art of the week, as Paint Party Friday brings me a slew of commenters! And who doesn't love that?

I miss our "old core group", still visit those who post, and miss the ones who don't (often).

I just posted today on my art quilt blog, my Getting My Feet Wet blog and on Facebook, to see which venue gets the most hits! All about a new little art quilt I made for Allie.

Amanda Summer said...

You are one busy lady! I'm not on Facebook or Twitter so I don't know if they are the reason you've noticed people pulling away from blogging, but I go through periods myself where I don't have much to say but more often I'm not blogging because like you I'm too busy with life or my work.

I admire your dedication to your creativity. I ask the same questions sometimes, worrying about whether something will get published, etcetc, so you have to love what you do. In your case, the love for your work shines through. The satisfaction of a beautifully crafted work of art is its own reward but the desire to share it with others is crucial as well.

studio lolo said...

I've definately fallen off the blogs, and I miss it. I mainly posted my art for Illustration friday, but with working full time and filling Etsy orders, I haven't been participating much in anything else.

Like Lynn, I miss our old core group too. Maybe we can get some of that old magic back!

Congrats on your hard work on your book project. As always, you inspire me with your boundless determination and creativity!

xoxo
Lo♥