Saturday, March 12, 2011

...the bad and the ugly.

ARGH!!


Since I show my successes - in order to maintain a humble feeling - I also must show my failures.

Last night we did portraits again. I like portraits and last week, I think I did pretty good! This week he had us work in black and white paint and it was an AWFUL night for my art. I of course, had a good time, learned a bunch but was off, off, off! We drew in Pencil and then were supposed to add paint, different black and white values. Above was my effort which I eventually abandoned. I started another which was SO bad that Tom finally came over and said "stop, stop" and proceeded to give me a lesson and fix my horror of a portrait - the results of which are shown below, painted over my attempt.



Tom is a lovely guy and very patient with his students. I would really like to take a full painting class with him - it's hard to just get snippets every friday night. But I don't know paint, don't know how to use it, don't understand it and it shows. So I'm not in the least bit worried about a bad approach with paint, I at least give myself that break. Maybe someday I'll get more proficient with it. And my other problem is seeing something in just darks and lights - I'm not trained to see that way, and my brain keeps trying to see color.

Anyway, as usual, it was a fun night. My artwork was awful, but I learned.

11 comments:

kj said...

i admire you so much your humilty leave me speechless sometimes.

and chuckling.....

keep at it, mim. i know you will. the future is bright. this is what you are going to be doing for all of your life--probably different mediums, some of which will shine brighter than others, will fill you up more vibrantly than others--but the bottom line is you are an ARTIST with talent and courage!

p.s. we know someone who knows paint and she could give us both lessons. i watched her 15 minutes and learned alot. :)

p.s.s. everytime i see a book of cartoons i think of you, so last weekend mr. ryan and i bought you Babymouse Beach Babe, but oh there's a dilemma! Babymouse not only surfs: she travels to Africa! obviously there is someone else we know and love who fits that description; you know--that magical photographer...

ah, decisions. how nice...

love
kj

Baino said...

Practice makes perfect as they say. You definitely have an artistic bent, just a case of finding the right subject. As long as you're learning, you'll finally get there. Frankly, I didn't think either was too bad but there's always room for improvement.

Katiejane said...

It IS hard, ain't it? I know just how you feel. Those "values" are a pain in the butt, but once we master them they work to our advantage. I don't see things that way either, and I am making a lot of bad art, too.

Cris, Artist in Oregon said...

Well its all about learning and if you learn something then it isn't bad art. Bravo for showing the good with the bad.
We are our own worst critic's tho.

Lynn Cohen said...

WEll color me funny if you wish but I don't see "bad" here I see interesting! So there!

PAK ART said...

It is ALL a learning experience and as long as we keep learning it's all good. I almost always work in B & W - it's what I first learned so seems easier for me. The hardest for me was using white chalk on black paper to show highlights instead of shadow. Different way of looking at things!

sukipoet said...

i think you are very talented and practice practice practice is what hones the skills and hand. it would be hard for any of us to try to see in black and white for the first time and maybe even the tenth time. you have shown you are fast at being skillful with new ideas and media. Sounds like such fun and you are brave to try new things.

studio lolo said...

Mim, I think portraits are the hardest!! Once you get the feel of paint, I know you'll love it. I resisted painting in anything other than watercolors forever until one day I said, "hey, I think I'll try acrylics." I never looked back.

Here's a hint that you may find helpful. Find a photo of something you want to paint. Then scan it and print it in black and white. Put the color image and the B&W image side by side so you can better envision the values and grey tones. It's a foreign language Mim, but with your analytical brain I know you'll master it ;)

The top portrait look like a cranky Kathryn Hepburn :)
I do like both, honestly!

I looked at Tom's site. Very talented, but a bit more stylized than I thought he'd be. And he works HUGE! I'd love to do that.

Lori ann said...

ah mim, i think your too hard on yourself, i think these are wonderful. but i know that pleasing ourselves is the hardest of all. you consantly amaze me with your love of learning and trying new things. and with how much fun you have in the process.
you have the best attitude!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

You are brave Mim. Just keep on practicing. Iknow it will come to you. You are so talented.

Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats said...

I, too, think this growth is very exciting and I really like both the before and after...the before reminds me of Andy Warhol a little...or maybe Illya Kuryakin