Saturday, July 23, 2011

Sometimes it pays to look up....

As it's Saturday, I got up a bit late but got dressed to go for my morning run/walk. The photo above is what I saw when I got to the field. Seemed like it was going to be a lovely morning.

I was later than usual so had hoped to avoid the sprinkler system, which drenches me every morning at 5:00 AM. Since I was there this morning at 6:00, I had high hopes of a dry run. But no such luck - got somewhat drenched. Actually, these past few days, getting drenched has felt good what with the awful heat that we've been having.

I was running along with my ipod blasting in my ear when I saw a flash of light. I thought I had made the camera go off by accident - but looked up and saw these amazing cloud formations.



I also took out my ear-things and heard BOOMING thunder. Well, the good thing is that I got to running faster and longer than ever before - because I was at that point of no return - I had 1/2 way to go around the field, and I wanted to get to my car before a stray bolt of lightning found me - aside from trees, the tallest thing on the field. So I really started running! not jogging...RUNNING!!

I booked it back to the car and just as I got there, a HUGE bolt of lightning seemed to strike the field...my phone rang with an anxious DH on the other end so I jumped into my safe car and....

...giggled with joy.

While it was a bit scary, I felt rather exhilarated. Isn't it weird how outrunning danger can make you feel like a hero?

17 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I am glad you made it to safety. Lightening is a scary thing. So dangerous. I hope with the lightening you got some cooling rain. Isn't this heat awful?.

Mim said...

I just checked the outside temp. 90% humidity but only 68 degrees!

Robin said...

Great post! I can almost *hear* your voice.... great photos - stormy skies are so thrilling!

And.....hey - a great workout! You RAN...and you *survived*...a good cardio workout!A-ha-ha!

Lightning is gorgeous - but when it it right on top of you, it's scary....

Rain during th Summer months is so heavenly....and doesn't everything smell delicious!!! (Hate that humidity though...)

Love,

♥ Robin ♥

Ces Adorio said...

Holly holy, Oh my God! You witnessed the formation of asperatus, those sudden formation of sinister looking clouds! Wow. I have never seen it. Wow!!!

Cris, Artist in Oregon said...

OMG those came up fast. More people get struck by ligthening then we reallize. So happy you made it back safely. Bet your hubby was scared for you. Adrenalin can really make one move and move fast. :))

Teri said...

Geez, we will have to call you Super Mim outrunning danger like that. Scary is right. But fantastic photos!

Barbara/myth maker said...

Ooooh-Wheee, what a fine experience that must've been!

I could do with a run through the sprinklers myself... The weather has been dreadful.

yoborobo said...

Coolest clouds! Wow! Good thing you are such a good runner, eh? :)) xox Pam

kj said...

i get the excitement, mim. i love storms. these shots are amazing, they must have been so awesome overhead.

so you are really running? good for you. that's a reason like what's happening!


kj

Lynn Cohen said...

Absolutely awesome sky!!!!! But ohmygoodness that would be scary as all get out. So glad you got out quickly and safely. Whew!
Stay safe and cool as possible.

studio lolo said...

mim, I honestly couln't run to save my life, no kidding!
Good for you...you runner you! The giggling must have been that runner's high I hear about.

Wicked sky. We had showers but the temps stayed in the 90's. I just feel slimey all day ;P

Lo♥

P.S. Did I see....? No, it can't be!!

sukipoet said...

lightening arriving when out walking or jogging is very scary. I can run but my trip home via foot is uphill so i am not sure I would run very fast.

interesting how such an experience is both exhilarating and scary. Glad you are safe.

Lori ann said...

thats awesome mim. i love it. we once outran/hiked a mountain thunderstorm, exilarating (and terrifing). you have such a sweet dh.

Amanda Summer said...

i have done the same thing - sit in a field and watch an oncoming storm, escaping just as lightning starts to crack. scary, yes — but exhilarating for sure. your cloud shots are nothing short of amazing. i'd almost call them muscular.

PAK ART said...

I love to watch lightening and hear thunder (from a safe distance of course!) I'm glad you were safe and got a little adrenaline rush from it instead of a heart attack!

Katiejane said...

I love those clouds! I love to watch thunderstorms gather and form. Glad you got to safety before any danger. I can't believe you are still out there exercising in this heat!

Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats said...

Amazing formations but I'm terrified of anything 'electric', so I would have missed them. Glad you're safe.