Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Animal Wednesday - swans


When we started kayaking on a local river a few years ago, there were maybe 4 - 6 swans that had made their home on one section. We've been watching them for a few years and now there are about 2 dozen of these enormous birds making their home on an island on the river - and floating majestically around. People tell me that they are an invasive species in this area, but I haven't done much research on that topic - I do love to watch them float, swim and fly.

Recently we saw one guy (I assume it was a guy - I haven't yet learned to tell the difference) floating along with his wings puffed up and it was obvious that he was catching the wind for a free ride. And now I know how the famous swan boats in the Boston Public Gardens got their wing look.



Here are the Swan Boats floating on the pond in the Public Gardens - a locally famous landmark. It's a sweet gentle ride - totally unexciting and delightful. I haven't done it for years, but now I know how they got their wings up look.

Happy Animal Wednesday!!

13 comments:

AtelierBrigitte said...

These swans are beautiful!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

They are an invasive species but beautiful none the less. People here have brought two different pair to a lake to encourage them to nest here. The thought being that they will keep the Canada Geese from nesting in their area. The Swans are most agressive when nesting. It hasn't worked though. The swans fly away every winter and don't return. The Canada Geese do return though. ha... So much for messing with Mother Nature. HAW.

Teri said...

The swans are really beautiful, but interesting what Lisa said about them. Don't mess with Mother Nature...lol

HAW

studio lolo said...

This makes me want to post my swan pictures now.

Look at the blue hues in the top guy. Wow, they are gorgeous!

I haven't been on the swan boats since I was a little kid growing up in Boston. What a flashback!

HAW!

Robin said...

I ADORE SWANS! I have collected all sorts of swan items for years.....but nothing can take the place of the real swans! Swimming, or in flight, they are magical and mystical. (Think "Lohengrin".) Of course, walking out of the water...not so graceful - ha-ha!) I have never been to Boston and have always wanted a ride on one of the Swan Boats!

Love,

♥ Robin ♥

Lynn Cohen said...

they are beautiful. there was a couple of "married swawns" in Ashland, Oregon Lithia Park. One of them somehow left the park and got hit by a car and died walking in the road nearby. The mate was beside itself with grief and sat by that roadside and grieved...I guess they mate for life, at least that couple was very devoted.

Lori ann said...

I love swans too, and these are really beautiful. Thank you for showing the wings out! I've never seen that happen.

kj said...

swans have two of my favorite characteristics: they are elegant and they take no ____!!!

i know they're pushy and they squawk too much, but you have captured their beauty most of all, mim.

and oh the public garden swanboats. they, and the 'make way for ducklings' little bronze ducks following their mother, are forever treasured images in my immature mind.

i love you, mim!

angela recada said...

I love swans, too! Such elegant looking birds.

And I really enjoyed the post below about portraits, too. I leave perfection to photographers - what I love about art is seeing the hand and heart of the artist in the work.
xo

Cris, Artist in Oregon said...

What a great shot of that Swan with its wings up. Its just so graceful. Thanks for sharing.

marianne said...

I wonder if anyone doesn't like swans....? They have something magical don't they?
Here in the moat we have a hugh family of swans now and the water seems small for them but if they don't sort it out themselves I am sure people will do it for them :(
I have seen the boats somewhere before.... They are so lovely!
HAW!

Katiejane said...

These birds are so regal and majestic. How I could stand there all day and watch them. I've never seen one up close.

Baino said...

Aww they're lovely. Of course ours are black with red beaks and feet.Very dramatic. I remember swan boats as a kid.