Thursday, February 2, 2012

Train Art


I had a nice long train ride this week, down to New York for work. I worked on the way down, but read and drew on the way home.

I set myself a little challenge for drawing. I was listening to music and had to draw the image that came to mind and could only listen to the song two times before I had to move onto the next song.

Since I have eclectic taste in music, I listened to a variety on the ipod shuffle. The first one is Sarah Brightman singing "allelujah"



This one is an oldie! Steeleye Span and "All around my Hat". Gosh I loved this group - her voice is awesome!


I don't have the name of this one, but it was a Country and Western song about dad and boy going fishing yada yada yada......


This is another CW tune by Shania Twain - Any Man of Mine...not a favorite in my house!! I'm the CW fan, not my tone deaf DH

Now for a switch - to Yiddish music with Itzhak Perlman playing Kletzmer music - Andy's Ride. Everytime I listen to this I think...yeah sure, I could play that....NOT.

And the last one - Anxiety by the Black Eyed Peas. I can see the anxiety in this drawing, can't you?

It was an interesting challenge, fun to do. I did more, but I couldn't finish them in the time allotted - so I'm going to change the rules and work on those other ones some more, and show them at another time.

Very relaxing.

11 comments:

Cris, Artist in Oregon said...

Oh Mim...These are all so awesome.. wow. Good job. wish my brain worked like that. They would all be stick figures.. lol. How long was this train ride? Hope we get to see the rest soon.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

This is a fun project. I think you draw emotion so well. How would you draw wind? I have been thinking about that a lot lately because it is so windy here. CW music is always good for when you need to cry. :)

Lynn Cohen said...

What a funny challenge! Only because I am not a music person, probably falling into your DH's catagory of being tone deaf. (But I do watch American Idol and the X Factor...I watch the judges faces to see who's good or not. I'd judge on cuteness) LOL
Your drawings are delightful. I like the jacket of the one woman and the group of anxitiety ridden folks is very funny. Love that you threw some Kleszmer music into the mix too.

Teri said...

These are great Mim! What a fun thing to do. I can just see your imagination going into full gear.

kj said...

mim, you crack me up,. this is such an awesome fun exercise and you graduated with an A plus.

when i see your sketches, i think this is your calling, mim. you convey so much through these simple characters.

i especially like your self imposed rule of two song thoughts only. ahhahahaha!
love
love
kj

Lori ann said...

super creative exercise, well done mim! i agree, a+

~Babs said...

What a great idea for passing the time in what might otherwise be a boring trip.
And excellent results!
(I love the jacket too)

Katiejane said...

Well, I don't know any of those songs but I love the sketches. This is a great idea for prompts! I especially like the last one, "anxiety". You did a lot of sketches!

Robin said...

These sketches are tres mangnificque.... KJ is right - this is such a fabulous medium for you - you can covey a wide range of emotions in just a few strokes of the pen! I loved all of these...you know Music IS my medium of choice...and I *got* every one of these vignettes! Of course, I loved Mr. Perlman playing *Andy's Ride* the most....but the *Steeleye Span* one is classic - LUV the jacket!

What a great way to pass *Train Time*! BRAVA!

Love,

♥ Robin ♥

soulbrush said...

Love Kletzmer music, and these are just too cute for words, now paint them.

Barbara/myth maker said...

Wow, look at all you created! Train rides are good for you. I love the link to the music.