Friday, February 8, 2013

Illustrations for Peter and the Wolf.


For my Children's book illustration course, we had to illustrate an paragraph from either Peter and the Wolf or The Little Match Girl.    I chose to do P&W - cause I always liked that story, loved the music and remember Leonard Bernstein conducting it at the Brooklyn Academy of Music.


The Scan actually did not come out this grey, I'm not sure what is going on here.  I'm coloring it in using Photoshop, in my other class - Digital illustration. 

I also did this illustration - as I have time on my hands what with this Blizzard we are having.   I like the tree Pinocchio noses.


Things have been going well, job is good, husband healthy ..and then this past week  - my mom fainted and fell and got a bloody head. Luckily my brother was in town so took care of her for a few days and she felt great...except that she had another episode.  Today she went to the Doctor and she has something going on with her heart, maybe needs a pacemaker - we're all not sure.    I've called the housekeeper (who she adores) and asked her to walk the dog twice a day, and visit with mom to see that all is well. Normally I'd be on a plane already, but Logan airport is shut down with this blizzard and no one is going anywhere.   I'm frustrated...and of course, worried and scared.    As usual, never a dull moment in my life. And of course, I've sent out 50 invitations to her 90th birthday party in March.  Well...I'm just going to wait and see what happens with that situation.

Hopefully we won't lose power in this storm, but I think that's wishful thinking. If the winds pick up like the TV hysteria says they should...then we might all end up in Oz. 

I hope you are all well, warm, safe and secure.  


7 comments:

Cris, Oregon Artist said...

Oh dear. I do hope your Mom is going to be alright. Don't you hate it when things like that happen right when you can do nothing about it. Hoping that its only hype with that storm. Better hype and warned then no warning and get socked with it. Love your Art work. Stay safe and keep creating.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Hopefully she will get her pacemaker pronto. Those are lifesavers and not too difficult to adjust to in most applications. How exciting to be receiving a blizzard. I hope your electric is in tact the entire time. Take care. Love your illustrations. I am glad you didn't do the Match girl. I think that is so depressing, especially this time of year.

Lynn Cohen said...

Of course my first concerns are with your mom and your family. I do hope this is something that is easily fixed and she'll be okay. I too want her to have a big celebration for her 90th birthday next month!!!!

Your drawings for the story book class are delightful. Love that you are learning this. Excited about your progress and where it leads you! Big things coming!!!

Best of luck in the Big Storm!

Lori ann said...

oh dear mim, try not to worry.

i can't stop watching the weather reports so i need to take my own advice.
LOVE your drawings!

kj said...

Mim, I hope your Mom is diagnosed and treated with meds or whatever in a way that takes the fear away. That is an awful worry, falling .

Your house in the clearing is darling. Boy are you mastering your lessons.

Not a relaxing way for you to ride out this whopping storm. That is not fair!

Prayers and hugs
Love
kj

soulbrush said...

I hope she will be really fine again by the time that wonderful birthday comea around.

sukipoet said...

sending prayers for your mom. as a kid i had a recording of Peter and the Wolf narrated by Sterling Holloway. I loved that recording!