Sunday, November 9, 2008

A fairly quiet weekend

Yes, I did stay in my jammies until late Saturday, and then my nephews came over and we watched the latest "Indiana Jones" which was great fun. Sunday morning we had muffins and bacon and played with paints. There is something very non-confrontational about painting and talking at the same time. A lot gets said while pretending to look at something else.

I painted circles on a black background.

Sean painted a sad elf. We all don't know why he is sad - but he certainly seems morose doesn't he? Perhaps he's thinking about the upcoming lousy Christmas season.


This face is an attempt at some abstract something. Not finished yet - obviously.


A study in some colors. I got some new paints with luscious colors and wanted to get them onto canvas to see how they look. I like the colors but now have to decide what to do with this background. A sunset seems to trivial and predictable. All suggestions welcome.

Took the boys home to NH and then rode 12 miles on the rail trail, and off road. You'd think with all this bike riding I'd have lost a million pounds by now, but no...steady and slow - the story of my life.

12 comments:

ElizT said...

It could make a background for one of your intricate swirling patterns.
Or not.

switch said...

wow wow wow...

I am getting really sucky at my comments lately...

but wow...hope to see more of this..the portraits and the spikey bubble pops

soulbrush said...

loved all the art you did, the vibrancy, this canvas would lend to something african, but definitely use your black..can't wait to see what you do (no pressure though). the bike rides are good for your heart and soul, that's all that counts! lotsa hugs and wfs.

sukipoet said...

This all sounds like great fun and look at all the art that came out of playing with yr new paints. Marvelous. I admire your energy re: bike riding. It is not something I can do for whatever reason: stamina and maybe even the suspicion that I am a clutz.

Mim said...

Suki - talk about a klutz! I am the one that broke my ankle falling off a bike that was standing still! So, it's an uphill battle for me.

this was an interesting weekend for me in that I found out what it is like having someone else in my studio and guess what - I really liked it! Not that Sean is serious about what he did but I loved their feedback and ideas. Just another way to look at things. Fern - glad you like the spike bubbles - they reminded me of some of Soulbrushes aboriginal art work -

Always fun to play with paint.

Mim said...

Suki - talk about a klutz! I am the one that broke my ankle falling off a bike that was standing still! So, it's an uphill battle for me.

this was an interesting weekend for me in that I found out what it is like having someone else in my studio and guess what - I really liked it! Not that Sean is serious about what he did but I loved their feedback and ideas. Just another way to look at things. Fern - glad you like the spike bubbles - they reminded me of some of Soulbrushes aboriginal art work -

Always fun to play with paint.

Lavinia said...

Iinteresting paintings. I haven't any ideas for the background, but I would like to see the final result.

Teri said...

Gee, it sounds like such a fun day!!

Lynn Cohen said...

Wonderful day with your guys! Good for you and them.

I really like this woman head you've painted and are painting still.
I see a boat in the horizon of the two blocks of color in the last one.
the circles are delightful...

I've opened my ETSY shop and am inviting all my friends to stop by and peek in at my goodies. Just for fun! When you have time.
;-)

studio lolo said...

Mim, how about turing it the other way with the green on the top?
Hmmmmmm, a whole new perspective with new possibilities!

studio lolo said...

OR...on it's side!!

:)

Mim said...

lolo - we turned the painting this way and that and felt that the green was "pushing" up on the red/orange. (technical term I guess) I actually painted it the other way, with the red/orange on the bottom but it just didn't feel right.

I'm thinking about a small, indistinct island out there on the horizon!