Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Barber of Seville and the Road Runner

I crack myself up sometimes. Driving into work today I was listening to my favorite classical station (as opposed to my favorite country station, or oldies) and this tune came on.

Now I come from a family of musically inclined people. Mom was an opera singer; Dad’s mom was a concert pianist. Dad had an uncle who conducted at the Met (guest conductor, and he got killed by a falling bell in Mexico, but that’s another story). Mom used to sing her arias after we went to bed; opera is my evening sing-song. I went to see Leonard Bernstein conduct many many times as a kid at the Brooklyn Academy of Music. I sing in a chorus. I used to play piano and flute. Most of us in the family have perfect pitch.

You’d think I was truly cultured, wouldn’t you.

So why…when I hear this music…do I immediately think of Bugs Bunny and Saturday morning cartoons????

6 comments:

Debra Kay said...

It's the child in all of us perhaps. I'm going to be in Orlando Nov 30-Dec7. (Long story, kind of like your plane, I HAVE to go....)

If you are headed to Sarasota for T-giving, making you could swing over to Orlando for a bit. I've never been to Disney World. I'm sure there will be lots to draw there.

switch said...

love it.
your story
and Bugs.

Kerstin Klein said...

:) after reading the post and then listening to the music, i also can´t get the cartoons out of my mind. i can imagine how the toons would move to particular parts of the music.

i can remember you mentioned your uncle and the bell somewhere.

switch said...

Yes, I remember the uncle and the bell story too.

Tell it again..pleasssse. Auntie Mim!

Mim said...

Aw shucks! I'll have to get the actual details from Dad again...and he's 94 so I'd better do it soon.

sukipoet said...

What a great family and bit of family history. Wonderful.