Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Happy Animal Wednesday


When we were in Jamestown, we saw original (ORIGINAL!) watercolors from the 1600's - a John White had painted and taken back to England - he published a book of his watercolors and this was most Europeans' first look at the new world. The pictures are fantastic, very detailed, and specific - mostly plants and animals - but Indian's included also. I bought a book of the artwork and am going to work my way thru trying to copy some of the animals.

This is a rapidograph drawing of one of his awesome sea turtles. He'll get watercolored soon, but I like him alot in the black and white.

Can't you just hear him saying "Dude".

HAW to everyone

6 comments:

ElizT said...

Nice.

soulbrush said...

extremely nice. we all love animal wednesday, it's such good fun/HAW dear mim, and hope you having a good time.

Debra Kay said...

I love sea turtles-such a strange combo of grace and clumsy. I've only seen a couple in the wild, and once they were let go they can move awfully fast!

sukipoet said...

I like your pen and ink drawings very much. I think this show was at Yale and another blogger wrote about it, Sixty-Five. Interesting and sounds like it has really inspired you.

studio lolo said...

Oooh, nice one Mim! I'll bet that was an inspiring show to see. I almost weep whenever I'm in front of an old master's painting.
Sea turtles..all turtles really, remind me of little old men. Wise ones, though. HAW!!

Teri C said...

How fascinating! Wonderful job. Turltes are so fun to sketch and watch.

HAW