Friday, July 9, 2010

Mitzvah Friday

I'm not an observant Jew really, I don't belong to a temple, and don't follow all the rules and regulations - never was good at that. But there are certain items that have stayed with me from my early teachings - things that I believe in and think about often. One of those is the commandment to perform Mitzvahs - there are 613 (or 620 depending on your reference) mitzvahs that should be performed. I'm really not sure if you are supposed to perform them yearly, or in your life...or what. I'll do more research on that later.

The term mitzvah has also come to express an act of human kindness.

Michele has an idea to do good deeds on Friday - at least to account for the ones that you have done during the week. Sometimes it's not easy and the good deed (mitzvah) turns out to be NOT yelling at the idiot who cut you off in the grocery line - or other very human stuff.

I haven't been very good at thinking about doing good deeds for others - somewhat self involved I am. But then I think of people like Tessa - who does SO many good deeds and reminds us all - gently - to think of others, to give, to be grateful for what we have, to welcome being human but to keep trying - keep trying to be a better person. Tessa has turned me onto supporting Dr. Maithri Goonetilleke - a doctor who works in Africa helping families devastated by AIDS and poverty. I have purchased a few items from Tessa to support this cause - beautiful artwork for pennies - to help a good man and his cause.

I am going to continue to support this good cause - and others. Sometimes it will be with straight cash donations. Sometimes with sales of items and donated profits. Maybe someday it will be with personal help - I just don't know. I am going to find my own way to help with causes that are near to my heart.

Today's good deed was donating to the International Bird Rescue Research Center thru Ripple - to help with the horrible effects of the oil spill. I get two lovely little pieces of art for this donation - so it's still a bit selfish to call this an actual good deed don't you think? But I'm going to because I need to start somewhere.....

I'd like to spend a few minutes on Friday thinking of good deeds that I have done during the week - be they minor, or major. I believe that if I think about accounting for good deeds, that will make me think about it more, and think about how to bring performing mitzvahs into my life on a regular basis.

Michele had a good idea to think of this on fridays - don't you think???

9 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

The first step is to actually do something. You did it. Good job.

Robin said...

Mim, this seems like a fun (and worthwhile) thing to do. Of course, we should all be doing and thinking good thoughts/deeds EVERY day... but there ARE days.....(and I should know).

I just came from KJ's blog and now, Tessa's....and I was so moved.

I am not one to "sing my own praises" if I do something good...
but I will join your "Mitzvah Fridays", if I may. (Catholics can join, right? Ha-ha!)

Today, my good thoughts will be offereing support and love to all who need it. I can't do much financially (you know why)...but I have already contributed to several animal aid charities in the Gulf....I did that at the onset...

Brava to you - for being YOU!

Love,

♥ Robin ♥

Lynn Cohen said...

Shalom Havera! I like Mitzvah Friday and Mitzvah Everyday as well.

Let's see, Mitzvot I have performed? Can I count the literal car LOAD of STUFF from our garage that I donated to the thrift store yesterday? It uses it's funds for the local battered women's shelter!
A very good cause. I also shop there! (I hope I don't buy any of our stuff back again! OY VEY!!!)

We bought a gift card for our neighbor who does handiwork for us for free, he expects nothing in return. So he does tons of Mitzvot for us. He deserves the gift!

Todarabah (thanks) and Lehetraot (until next time)

Lynn, your lansman friend ;-)

studio lolo said...

I have a Jewish friend who had a wonderful dog for years named Mizvah :)

I like your idea of Mitzvah Friday.
I may just list them at your place each week if you do a post.

I love Tessa and Dr. Maithri.

I don't like it when bad things happen to great people.
If I had half the grace of Tessa, I'd considered myself very blessed.

xo

Lori ann said...

It's a beautiful idea Mim. Whatever it's called, it will always be the right time for giving and sharing. Bless your heart for all that you've done, and continue to do.

And i think Lolo should feel very blessed indeed, there is an abundance of grace and love at Studio Lolo.

Marion said...

"I believe that if I think about accounting for good deeds, that will make me think about it more, and think about how to bring performing mitzvahs into my life on a regular basis."

I will join you...Fridays are very good days for accounting for good deeds. I love paying it forward and do it as often as I can. But I think it's time to step up my good deeds...just have that feeling, Mim. Thank you for this inspiring post. It was something I needed to hear!

BT said...

What a thought provoking post Mim. What a great idea too. It's hard for me to do much as I'm rather isolated here, but I'll try. Maybe write a letter to someone I've been lazy replying to. Thanks for the nudge. xxx

Michele said...

Mim, Thanks so much for picking up Mitzvah Friday with me. Maybe now that two of us are doing it, I'll actually focus more on good deeds (real ones) and do them during the week : )

kj said...

i read this too fast. and it's too late to reread. so i will join you on fridays being a secret saint, is that it?

because nothing would make me happier.

i am soooo glad you are around, mim. sooooooooooooo glad.