Sunday, February 3, 2008

A Quilting Crisis Averted




I had an AHA moment last night about Brians quilt.

Most of this dilemma has been caused by poor measurement and lousy seams, but in addition, I decided to use a fleece on the back of the quilt and put patches of the same green used on the front as little decorations for the back. There is no easy way that I can figure that I could have lined up the rectangles on the back and front and I didn't want to quilt over those patches. And I really wanted to quilt this one, not tack it as I had done on the blue one for Sean.

Anyway, here is what I did. Lynn had made a suggestion about using light green thread in th bobbin and just quilting over the back rectangles. I was going to do that but was still not really wanting to sew over those blocks, I wanted them puffy. So, by hand I stitched around the back blocks so that the basting showed on the front. All blocks were outlined this way. Then I turned over the quilt and started quilting along a front seam - and when I got to the area that had been basted, I tacked the stitch - and slid the whole quilt down below the bottom of the basted area and continued stitching. This way I get the puffy look on the back that I wanted, but with a good quilted look on the front.

Make sense? I like this solution. Lesson learned - keep thinking about a problem, the solution may come to you.

6 comments:

studio lolo said...

I admire people who can sew! I never developed the talent for it. I barely got through home-ec classes and all we had to make was a simple vest and an apron. Uh...I don't think so! Thank goodness the year was split into 2 sections, sewing and cooking. I made a kick-ass tapioca!

Debra Kay said...

I think sewing is great-I wish I could. I've tried, own several machines, but I just don't have the knack. Quilting I think I might could do, because I like the geometry and patterns of it. I guess I'll find out, cause I bought those horsey quilt blocks.

I really love the green quilt Mim, and I like the blocks on the back, it makes the back interesting too!

Lynn Cohen said...

You solved your problem. Clever YOU! Good solution. I'll make note of that good information. It looks wonderful. When will the boys get their blankies?

Digital Scott's Illustrationblog said...

Nice quilt work! I'd love to make quilts. A very important part of life.

ElizT said...

You lost me!
But the quilt is very attractive with your clever colours.

Sarah said...

I have no idea what you are talking about but I'm glad you solved the problem! Nice quilt too!