Saturday, February 12, 2011

A difficult question - a delicate answer

This could be a Six Word Saturday heading!


My DH is not usually known for diplomacy, he's too blunt and direct. But over 30 years of marriage has taught his a few things.

Background.

My first seamless sweater, knit in a bulky wool/acrylic blend - more of a test than anything as the yarn was not expensive and I'd never knit in the round before. And of course, I knit loose and forgot to continually check my guage, hence the bulky sweater. Which I made a nice scarf and toasty hat to match with the leftover yarn.

I tried to Shrink this sweater but since it has acrylic in it, it ain't changing shape at all.

My question to him this am.

"What do you think about this sweater"? (I had it on. I know it doesn't look good. Wouldn't you think I'd have learned something after 30 years?)

As soon as the words were out of my mouth I regretted them. I braced myself for the blunt "no".

What I got was " well, the arms are slightly different lengths and without shoulders it makes your shoulders look a bit droopy, and it has no waist so doesn't show yours, but - it's not bad"

He got a kiss.

And the sweater set....might just go to a worthy cause.

15 comments:

Teri said...

WHAT A GUY! LOL

Cris, Artist in Oregon said...

You gotta love'em!! :))

Annie said...

I think it looks toasty. That is a smart man you have there :-). xoxo

PAK ART said...

Quite good coming from a very honest man. Mine would have said, "there's no waist so it hides yours" It is a bit oversized but I think it would be nice and snuggly layered oversomething else when you go sailing.

Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats said...

Well, you'll have more room in your closet, too...

Mary Richmond said...

haha--that's great....now maybe mine could take a few lessons ;-) have a great rest of your weekend!

Katiejane said...

Aw Mim, I think this is a nice sweater! Don't give it away. Keep it for yourself to wear around the house on chilly days if it doesn't look that polished. Be proud that you made this. I rather like it.
At least your DH gave an answer. Mine would have avoided that questiom like a pile of poop! :)

Marion said...

I like the sweater. Keep it, wear it...remember what you've learned from knitting it. It looks like a really warm sweater...perfect for gardening in the early Spring!

Your husband is really sweet!!

Baino said...

Aww bless you know never to ask thos questions, they're as dangerous as 'does my bum look big in this'. Personally I like sloppy sweaters.

Lynn Cohen said...

I'd find it comfy too. I'd keep it if I were you. As for him, I'd keep him too. ;-)

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Sounds like your hubby is a keeper. Maybe the sweater should be too so you can see how your talent progresses over time.

studio lolo said...

I think DH and the sweater are both keepers. I agree about it being a comfy friend and a "look where I started" sweater. I also like it!

And he noticed you have a waist. That's worth the kiss!

One of my favorite comedic moments (on tv I think) was a comedian saying his wife asked if these pants made her butt look big. His answer was 'No, your BUTT makes your butt look big!" hahahaha!

Nice self-portrait. If I'm lucky I'll get to see you Wed :)♥

kj said...

mim, what i like is that you liked the whole exchange. :^)

i also like all these suggestions and the idea of wearing this sweater in your early spring yard in my mind fits perfectly

Amanda Summer said...

like kj said, i love your commenting on the whole dialogue between you two - so cute!

hey - the fact that you could knit a sweater is a feat in itself -- ok - so maybe the sleeves are different lengths, but it looks really comfortable (and that to me is pretty much my main requirement in clothing ;-)

Lori ann said...

hi mim, i was gone and missed all your sweater posts! i think it looks great! i know what you mean though with bulky yarn. it really makes anyone look well, bulky.

maybe try a dk yarn instead. even a worsted will add a lot of bulk.