Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Animal Wednesday - and more snow pictures...what else is there to do???

I know that all of us in the Northeast have been whining about the snow. It's not that this is the snowiest winter that we've had - others have given us more snow - but it's that it just keeps coming with a storm every week! We usually go weeks between storms, but this winter it's days.

So....we do what we can to make silk purses out of sow's ears.

DH and I thought that this icicle looked like a snake with it's mouth open hanging from the roof. I kinda think it's a stretch, but like to encourage his enthusiasm for Animal Wednesday. So here is a cold, icy, snake of an icicle.



Penguins....that's what we should have around here!



And today is Groundhog day! Normally I detest groundhogs. At our old house, we had one who lived up in the orchard that we called Rizzio. He really didn't bother us - there was enough to eat in the orchard. But in this house, we are surrounded (somewhat) by other houses so the GH here eats my flowers and vegetables. So, we don't like him or his brethren.
But I just saw Puxataney Phil on the TV, they woke him up to see if he saw his shadow...and he really looked so cute. Sorta sleepy and "why did you wake me up, but it's OK" wriggley nose look. According to the yahoos who were all dressed up holding the sleepy animal, Phil didn't see his shadow - which means an early spring. BRING IT ON!!!


My back porch disappearance progression continued.

A few weeks ago.


Last weekThis morning

Icicles over my back stairs - watch out!

The back door tunnel - cool eh?
Happy Animal Wednesday to those of you who can actually SEE animals - around here they are under the snow somewhere.


17 comments:

sukipoet said...

I just watched the Phil thing too and also thought the little guy was so cute. all those people cheering etc. and the men dressed in top hats. well, it relieves the winter boredom just like those nutcases who go swimming in ice water.

AtelierBrigitte said...

So much snow!! No wonder you think of penguins. Hope spring comes soon!

HAW!

Marion said...

I know what you are going through. But up here, we are supposed to get snow like that and so we are accustomed to it. I feel for all of you on the East Coast...it has been wearying!

Now you know why there are so many snow photos on my blog...as you say, what else is there to do!

Be careful of the icicles! They are so beautiful...there is one at the senior's village that I swear looks like a frozen river fall!

studio lolo said...

I'm confused. I thought if he DID see his shadow then spring would come sooner?

I forget my own native folklore :P

That's a winter wonderlanf Mim.

Um, a snake? Okay. Sure. I do see the open mouth but it looks like a branch to me. I do love that DH saw it though!

HAW!

I think I'll go paint a groundhog now.

Mim said...

Lo - if he sees his shadow he get's scared and runs back into his hole and hides for another 6 weeks.

Teri said...

YIKES!! that is a LOT of snow!!!
Love those little penguins marching around.

You are the smart one, staying inside where it is warm and cozy.

HAW

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Aren't you glad you don't have to take a dog for a walk out there. Wow. I like your snakey icecicle. Stay warm and safe. HAW.

Annie said...

Mim, that's a lot of snow! Stay safe and warm. xoxo

Robin said...

Love those penguins! And tell your DH, he is RIGHT! I clearly see the Ice Snake - mouth open, ready to bite!

Ah, the snow......it's truly astounding!

Those Groundhogs were wrong!

Stay warm and safe,

Love,

♥ Robin ♥

Snowbrush said...

Your weather is all the news even in Oregon, MIm, so we know it's a tough one. Your pictures bring that out better than the ones on TV though. By contrast, I need to mow today. I guess you would look pretty silly if you tried that!

marianne said...

All that snow It is not normal!!!!
Wouldn't be surprised to see polar bears or penguins in your backyard......
Here it is just cold.
Waiting for spring! Yes and daffodils!
HAW

Cris, Artist in Oregon said...

Oh wow.. to much snow. Altho I wish we had gotten a little more snow when we did I am so we need to go mow grass. OH wait.. thats work. maybe sitting by a nice fire and reading a good book is much better. :)) I think that the Groundhog is right for the west coast.. maybe it needs to rethink for the east coast. :O

Amanda Summer said...

that porch furniture has me in stitches!!! ok, it's only funny until it's YOU who has to wade through all that to get out of the house, i know!! we've had our share in the midwest, but nothing like this...

and btw that icicle DOES look like a snake -- cool!

Lynn Cohen said...

I just could not adjust to LIVING in all that white stuff. I dare say I do love icicles though. They are so pretty and simply amaze me.
That's because as a third generation Sunny Californian I find them unusal and awesome.
That snake might also look like a bird hanging upside down with its mouth open!
I LOVE your photos that show the progression of snow depth over the patio furniture! What a sight!!!!
My mind is completely boggled by all this white stuff.

kj said...

mim, isn't it such fun to have friends in california and across the ocean and all over the world? friends who are in the middle of SUMMER for goodness sake!

i don't remember any time with this much snow at once. well, maybe when i was 5!

stay warm, mim, happy to see you soon

Lori ann said...

what a fantastic post mim! i love the snow photos and the icicles! wow, they look beautiful and dangerous. A dumb question: Does anyone ever get hurt by them?

i do see the snake but i wouldn't want to get to close if it snapped off and fell, yikes!

and i love the penquins, i guess they really would feel right at home in all your snow. But since the groundhog said spring is coming early, hopefully you will see the earth and the animals (and no more peguins) again soon!

PAK ART said...

I love your snow progression pictures! It reminds me of a post I did once about USCO's (instead of UFO's) Unidentified snow covered objects. You have WAY more snow than we do at our home in AK. Probably not at our cabin, but her in the city we don't have that much. I love the ice snake - it's great and very much qualifies!