Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Easily Distracted

My muse has abandoned me lately, and - on top of that - I have been unplugged. I got an iPAD and while it is easy to lug around, I am finding that I can't type and post as well as on the regular computer, hence - in my pleasure of a new toy - I've neglected my old faithful computer and have unplugged myself. I'm still here - and miss my regular blogging and reading and am going to revert to my older early morning computer blogging habit.

So what does that have to do with being easily distracted? Nothing really, just something I needed to get off my chest. Done now. Chest lighter.

But as for easily distracted - yes, that's me.


I went down to the basement to organize and clean up a bit for two special friends who are stopping over tomorrow, and in cleaning up I found one of those awful pressed wood tables, with three legs. Really a rough top, all nasty pressed wood and splinters. I think the point is to cover them with fabric and a glass top and make a pretty little table. I got inspired somehow and decided to make the table into something a bit more useful. I put two layers of a heavy packing tissue paper on the top and glued it down. Then I cut off the bits that hung down over the sides and evened it out. Then I took a pretty green paper and cut it into about 1 inch squares and used them as mosaics on the top of the table. The paper was not solid green, it was variegated greens and lighter greens and tans. When it was dried I added the fish cutouts and polyurythaned over the top...painted the legs green and put the whole thing together. I wish I had taken pictures during the process - but didn't.


So...that was what I was doing while I was supposed to be cleaning up. Getting distracted by projects. Thank goodness.


But I did get my fabric organized!

Before...

After!

More pictures tomorrow. Fresh batteries in the camera.


9 comments:

Cris, Artist in Oregon said...

oh that table is pretty. Looks like a turtoise shell. Nice job of organizing the material. Sometimes we may get side tracked but we do get other things done so it isnt all a loss.

Lori ann said...

wow mim! what a good way to be distracted, the table is beautiful. how clever is that, and you did it just today? so great.

and all your fabric, what a good feeling that is. well done! and now will you be quilting or something with it??

and i do know what you mean about the ipad and blogging. i love it, but for other things too.
:)

word veri is resque! haha, you rescued the table from ordinaryness!

kj said...

i heard those two special friends are over the moon ready and raring to see their one special friend.

i heart they can't stop smiling.

PAK ART said...

You organized! I need to do that too, but so far haven't found the time. Your table looks amazing - I was sure it was tiles.

sukipoet said...

cool table for sure. hope you are having a wonderful day together.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

The table turned out beautifully. I should get so distracted. You are such a good girl getting organized.

Baino said...

You are formally invited to come over and tidy my wardrobe. Fare's in the post. Free breakfast.

Katiejane said...

OMG!!! How did I miss this post?? This is fabulous, Mim! I actually thought you had done a ceramic tile mosaic and was going to comment on what a perfect job you did. Well the "perfect job" compliment still stands and the paper mosaic is an outstanding idea! It really does look like ceramic. I love this.

Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats said...

I love the 'mosaic' table...amazing and shimmery like shells. And I too am organizing my basement and it feels good!