Saturday, September 29, 2007

Teenage Memories - Junior High School


When I was in 7th and 9th grade at Walt Whitman Junior High School, in Brooklyn NY, we had a music teacher named Miss Roach. She was pretty good, (I don't really remember much from Junior High aside from boys, learning to type, boys and more boys) But the rumor was that Miss Roach was Max Roach's sister. I don't know if that is true or not. I do remember learning or listening to some jazz - something that I had never been exposed to before. I have to admit that it didn't take - I just didn't get it at the time.

I have been reading Max Roach biographies on line trying to see if any of them mention a sister, but no luck so far. Does anyone know the answer to this question: Did Max Roach have a sister who was a music teacher in Brooklyn.


Someday I'll find my junior high class photo - shock you all,

2 comments:

ElizT said...

I have to confess that I didn't know about him; you have fixed that. He had plenty of wives!

Kerstin Klein said...

Can´t wait to be shocked. ;) I didn´t find anything on the net about a sister of Max Roach.